In the next day or two as a member of the CIO UK community you will receive an opportunity to take part in the 2016 CIO 100, our annual celebration and demonstration of the transformational role CIOs from and in the UK perform. [Enter the CIO 100 here]
Every year as Editor of the CIO 100 I try and select 100 CIOs who demonstrate the importance of the CIO role by transforming the way information and technology is used by organisations to meet the needs of their customers, the organisation’s staff and partners.
For 2016 the CIO 100 will be modernised. Instead of a single list of 100 CIOs the list will feature 25 CIOs that are trail blazing in their vertical market, an additional table will feature the top 5 CIOs in these markets: Manufacturing, Financial Services, Media, leisure and travel, Retail & FMCG, Utilities & Energy, Communication, Science and Technology, Transport and Distribution; Construction and Engineering; Professional Services; Charity and Social Housing; Public sector (not the NHS) as well as Healthcare (including the NHS).
The CIO 100 panel has simplified the questionnaire. As ever we are trying to showcase great examples of CIOs as business leaders that deliver change and customer benefit through information and technology. We hope you will take part and that your involvement will benefit the CIO community.
To help you with your submission please find the questions that feature in the 2016 CIO 100 below.
Mark Chillingworth, CIO 100 Editor
- Your name and job title
- How are you influencing the products, experience and services your organisation offers to its customers?
- How as CIO have you affected cultural change and / or behaviour in your organisation and to what extent?
- Define the key business outcomes that you have delivered over the last 12 months and their impact on your organisation’s company performance
- Describe how you have used organisational and third party information to provide insight that has benefited your organisation, its customers and products or services
- Describe how you organise and operate IT and how this aligns effectively with business strategy and operations
- Describe your role in the development of digital strategy in your organisation
- Describe how you use and promote technology to redesign the processes, services and organisational structures of your organisation to enable it to become more efficient and customer-focused
- How do you use social networks to engage in conversations across the industry about the opportunities and challenges technology is creating?
- How do you engage regularly with your organisation (e.g. via a blog/seminars/newsletter etc.) about your team and the role of technology in the organisation and what impact is this having?
- How do you bring the organisation together to explore and discuss technology and its challenges and to develop stronger alignment of the technology function with the full business?
- Describe how you keep up to date with developments in technology and IT management e.g horizon scanning, technology strategy workshops, involvement in industry events and bodies
- Provide an example of how you have developed the diversity and improved the culture of your team
- Describe how you collaborate and influence the organisation and its leadership team
- Tell us how you have developed your own management, leadership and personal skills, perhaps through mentoring, training or external activities
- Are you investigating, tracking or experimenting with: Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence; Data Analytics; NoSQL; wearable technology; Enterprise Apps; Internet of Things; Automation and Robotics; Artificial Intelligence; 3D Printing; the Sharing Economy; Anything else?
- How do you decide where to apply the best technological approach – e.g. from consuming services from the cloud or on-premise products through to spinning up in-house development teams for bespoke work?
- Do you give yourself and your team time each month to assess or learn about technology vendors outside of the established providers?
- Describe your sourcing strategy and your strategic suppliers
- Describe the technology innovations that you have introduced in the last year and what they have enabled
- What strategic technology deals have been struck and with whom? What uniquely do they bring?
- Rank in order of importance your sources for innovative technology suppliers
- Has your organisation detected a cyber intrusion in the last 12 months?
- How is cyber-security led and discussed by senior management?
About the CIO
- When did you start your current role?
- What is your reporting line?
- Are you a member of the board of directors?
- What is the annual IT budget?
- How much of your IT budget is capital and how much revenue?
- What percentage of your budget is spent on IT operational spend (“keeping the lights on”) and what percentage on new developments (innovation)?
- What number of users does your department supply services to?
- Are you finding it difficult to recruit the talent you need to drive transformation?
- Has recruitment and retention risen up your agenda as a CIO?
- Does your IT organisation operate an apprenticeship scheme?
- How many employees are there in your IT team?
- Are you increasing your headcount to bring skills and the ability to react to needs in-house?
- What is the split between in-house/outsourced staff?
- Would you like to attend the CIO 100 celebration on April 21? If so, please inform us of the best email address to contact you on: