Barclays European CIO wants to be the Google of banks
The Libor scandal won’t halt the progress of Barclays to be the world number one in banking and global brand says it’s European CIO
By Mark Chillingworth
1. Anthony Watson, European CIO for Barclays Retail and Business Banking
“Constant improvement and investment in new technology ensures our platforms are more efficient, stable and more reliable,“
2. Barclays CIO explains technology vision
Barclays in Europe has almost 14,000 employees with Watson providing technology to the vast majority, excluding Investment Banking, Wealth and Corporate Banking.
3. Barclays European CIO wants to be the Google of banks
"Banking is the most technology focused industry out there. Think about it, every transaction a bank performs is executed through technology."
4. The Libor scandal won’t halt the progress of Barclays to be the world number one in banking and global brand
"Banking, in very real terms touches people’s lives. I want to make sure everything we do at Barclays has a positive impact a person’s life, each and every time they engage with us, regardless of which channel they chose".
5. Watson cites JP Morgan Chase & Co Chairman & CEO Jamie Dimon and Steve Jobs former CEO of Apple as both a business and technology inspirations for the young CIO.
“As a CIO I want to work with the business in a technology led transformative fashion. Technology will enable our vision of becoming the “Go to Bank”.”
6. Banking has a tradition of making things very complex
“We want to transform the experience at every channel and every place the customers are at. We have realised that the banking experience can be so much better. So we are working on making our products and services transparent, seamless, attractive and simple to use”.