* Audit your printer estate
* Rationalise around the most efficient laser machines
* Create a system that sends each print-out to the cheapest printer
* Make black-and-white the default setting with colour as an option
* Default duplex printing
* Default greyscale printing
* Instil a walk-up printing regime with smart cards
* Discourage printing long documents in their entirety
* Train people to use printers more effectively
* Make your printers so easy to use that they don't need support
* Deploy document management systems where possible
Printing by numbers
20% People who complained about documents being printed on both sides.
10% People who insist proofreading must be on paper, not on screen.
15% Yearly drop in output cost at firms that asked users to use print preview.
9% Yearly drop in cost at businesses that encourage on-screen proofing.
5% Yearly rise in people urged to use duplex printing.
7% Rise in use of controls to record printer usage.
Figures courtesy of Kyocera
Read the full In Depth analysis of the value of managed printing services here, and the case study of how Skipton Building Society reduced its printing costs by opting for managed printing serivces here.